Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A Tour of the Submarine Ovens



In a previous post, A Submarine Memorial, I mentioned that I heard about the submarine tour being something well worth checking out. Well, I thought I'd go and experience it for myself.

The image above is the first little enclosure we ventured down into. I don't think it needs much explaining - it is the area where the torpedoes get launched. Our tour guide was a former crewman of one of these submarines and had some very interesting stories. It's hard to tell, but in the bottom right of the photo you can see the top of a small bed (a very, very small bed, as are all of them on a submarine). He told us that when he slept there, although one spark could spell the end of him instantaneously, it was a unique feeling knowing that he was sleeping on one of the most expensive beds in the world, atop a $4.5 million torpedo.

I would certainly recommend this tour. It is a whole different world inside one of these massive yet cramped submersible vessels.

Vantage point: 32°03'19.00" S, 115°44'20.20" E

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home